We’ve pulled together answers to some of the most common questions about including a gift in your will to Avon Wildlife Trust.
If you can’t see your question here, please contact our Supporter Care Manager, Georgia Moore on Georgia.Moore@avonwildlifetrust.org.uk or call 0117 917 7270 and we’ll help find you an answer.
1. How do I make my will?
We know making a will for the first time can be confusing and potentially overwhelming, so we want to make the process as simple as possible for you. We have created an easy-to-follow guide to help you get started which you can download from our helpful information and resources page.
You can also contact a qualified legal professional for information. The Law Society can provide you with a directory of solicitors near you.
2. I don’t have very much to give, is it worth including a gift in my will to Avon Wildlife Trust?
Absolutely. Any gift, no matter the size, can make a huge difference. Thank you for considering including a gift in your will to Avon Wildlife Trust. It’s people like you that will ensure wildlife thrives and wild places can be enjoyed by everyone for generations to come.
3. What kind of gift could I give to Avon Wildlife Trust?
There are three types of gift you can leave in your will:
- A specific sum – this is a gift of a set amount of money and is known as a pecuniary gift
- A share of your estate – this is a percentage or share of your estate and is known as a residuary gift
- A specific item – this could be something valuable such as a painting, antique, property, land or shares and is known as a specific gift
4. What information do I need about Avon Wildlife Trust to include a gift in my will?
You need to include our name, address and registered charity number:
Avon Wildlife Trust
32 Jacobs Wells Road
Our registered charity number is 280422.
You can find out more from our Wording Your Gift guide on our helpful information and resources page.
5. What should I include in my will?
It’s worth thinking about everything you want to include in your will before speaking to a solicitor. You should consider:
- Who you would like to be your executor, the person who will carry out your wishes in your will. This can be a friend, family member or solicitor
- What money and belongings you have. You need to include everything you own e.g. property, savings, antiques and shares
- Who you want to remember in your will. List all your family members, friends and charities you care about
Find out more about making your will with our helpful documents here.
6. I’ve already made a will. Do I need to make a new one to include a gift to Avon Wildlife Trust?
If you have already made a will and would like to make small changes, you do not need to make a new will. Instead you can add a codicil to your will and send it to your solicitor. A codicil is a document which allows you to make changes or additions to an existing will, and must be read in conjunction with it. Find out more with our helpful documents here.
7. What about Inheritance Tax?
Inheritance Tax is only payable if your total estate is valued at £325,000 or higher. Currently, if you include a gift in your will to Avon Wildlife Trust it will not be included when valuing your estate. The value of your gift will be deducted from your estate before Inheritance Tax is applied. However, Inheritance Tax is always subject to change so check with your solicitor for the latest advice.
It is also worth noting that if you leave at least 10% of your net estate to charity, then the rest of your estate will be taxed at 36% rather than the standard 40%.
8. Do you have examples of legal wording when making a will?
9. Should I let you know that I have included or plan to include a gift in my will to Avon Wildlife Trust?
We really appreciate hearing that you have thought of Avon’s wildlife when making your will. It allows us to thank you for your generosity and keep you up to date with the work that people like you are helping to achieve. Please complete our pledge form here if you would like to let us know.
10. I am the executor of a will which includes a gift to Avon Wildlife Trust. What do I need to do?
11. Can I include a gift to a specific project, nature reserve or area of Avon Wildlife Trust’s work?
You are most welcome to request that your gift is put towards a specific project, nature reserve or type of work. If your gift is to be restricted, please contact us before finalising your will to ensure that your wishes can be met. However, if your gift is unrestricted, it can be used where the need is greatest at the time and is helpful so we can plan around that need.
12. Can I include a gift of land in my will to Avon Wildlife Trust?
Gifts of land are extremely important in protecting and restoring nature across our region and linking up areas of our Nature Recovery Network to allow wildlife to move, feed and thrive throughout the landscape. We are in need of certain types of land such as farmland or woodland over 10 hectares, whether it's already filled with wildlife or not. If you are considering including a gift of land in your will, please do get in touch with Georgia Moore on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01179 177 270 to discuss this in more detail and to see if the land is appropriate.