About the event
We want young people in Avon to have an active voice and role in the future of our environment. With support from Our Bright Future, we have created a Youth Forum to consider, influence and take action on environmental issues within and beyond Avon. The forum represents young people from across the region and work closely with the Avon Wildlife Trust Board and Our Bright Future National Youth Forum.
The Youth Forum will be made up of young people just like you. Your ideas and opinions will shape the direction the forum will take and you will be part of a network of environmentally minded individuals.
Youth Forum Mission Statement:
To make a change on behalf of all young people
To inspire and represent all people that are affected by ecological breakdown and climate change.
To help facilitate people to make a change, by identifying problems that people want to solve then helping as a community to make change, within a regenerative culture.
To Take Action
To actually take action on issues that are publicised in the media and shaping are our futures.
- Meeting once a month, on the first Thursday of the month – plus opportunities to meet informally, for training and development offered throughout the year. To be agreed and decided by the forum.
- To develop a youth vision for Avon in line with our AWT strategy and the Wilder Future Campaign;
- Work directly with staff to support the planning, development or delivery of our project work;
- Develop a youth membership to improve our offer to young people;
- Work closely with the Our Bright Future team at Avon Wildlife Trust and the wider national project to support their aims.
We recognise that your lives are moving and changing quite quickly, through education, further education and training and as such we would ask for a minimum commitment of six months but with an ideal term being at least one year.
We will provide an induction and opportunities for training and personal development. The Our Bright Future Team also offers active volunteering opportunities on a regular basis and you would be welcome to engage with these.
Who are we looking for?
- Anyone interested in making changes for the environment and local wildlife.
- Aged between 14 and 24.
- Interested in attending events, meetings and workshops
- Confident to share opinions and ideas (we can offer training and development support if you are interested but don’t feel ready to commit to being a forum member immediately)
- Excited about influencing policy decisions around young people and the environment
What’s in it for you?
- A chance to meet other young people who are passionate about the environment
- Training and development opportunities to support you in the role and for the future
- Experience you can evidence through accreditation, references and volunteering to add to your CV
- A chance to advocate for other young people and the environment.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop your skills, boost your confidence, learn about and engage with the work of Avon Wildlife Trust, and make a difference to your future and the future of your environment.
How do I apply?
If you would like to apply to be a member of the youth forum please download an application form and tell us as much as possible about why you are interested in the role.
Or if you are feeling more adventurous or just hate forms, send us a PowerPoint or Prezi presentation, a link to a webpage, or a YouTube video (or similar) where you tell us a bit about yourself and why you want to be involved.
Please note although there are limited places this is a continuous application as we expect that members will move on. We can also offer support and training if you feel that you would like to build up your confidence and experience before applying.
We have volunteering and work experience opportunities which are both great ways to be introduced to the work of the trust.
We look forward to hearing from you and if you have any questions please do get in touch: email@example.com.